Piano loan program

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Thu, 04 Jan 1996 12:09:54 -0700

Newton,  your statement that the dealer is not pleasant to deal
with would be my first red flag to justify pulling the plug on
the arrangement. The typical loan program should be a win-win
situation for both parties involved, futhermore a violation
of the contract provisions should get the attention of somebody
in your purchasing department  which will mean they will
have the attorney general's office revoking their sales tax license
within 24 hours, just kidding.

We have 50 assorted pianos in our program which we do pay the initial
freight cost on at the start of the cycle which is in August before
the beginning of the fall semester.  This is the only charge we
pay for the entire year and some of us even get along with the dealer.
The dealer pays all advertising and administrative costs involved
with the spring sale and are given  access to all current  university
mailing lists and past alumni addresses.  Also a preview letter goes
out to all 6000 employed faculty and staff members in the university.
I wouldn't doubt that the first year sale probably set some kind
of sales record for this type of event and the last couple of years
have been also quite good.  However, there is a limit and the wheels
are now in motion by the development office to start a major fund
raising campaign to purchase the inventory we need.

The loan program here is unique in that we have Steinway grands, Baldwin
grands and uprights, Kawai grands, and Charles Walter uprights so
we have diversified the representation of brands involved. It is by
the virtue of the local dealer that Steinway is involved and not
by New York because the factory is not in the loan business.  This
tailored program has been a huge success for us and has contributed
greatly to the satisfaction of faculty and students.

The trade-off of constant tuning to having reliable actions and somewhat
even voicing is a balance we are coping with but in the long run
we would rather have our own inventory, however, if you can
substantially raise the quality of your inventory overnight you will
have served your school well, just make sure the dealer knows who is
charge.  Hope this helps.

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe