White powder

Vince Mrykalo REEVESJ@ucs.byu.edu
Thu, 04 Jan 1996 12:19:42 +0000 (MST7MDT)

>         I just worked on a Samsung baby grand today where the owners allege
> that the previous tuner applied a white powder liberally to the works of
> the action and surrounding area.  They did not know why this was applied.
>         The powder was on top of the hammer flange area, between the hammer
> butt and the butt jack (the leather was saturated with it).  The piano had
> never had action troubles before this application.  I had to relieve two
> areas of the action that were sluggish.
>         Is there some kind of technology I am unaware of which would
> justify this white powder?  It appeared to me to interfere with the teflon
> coatings about the jack and the hammer butt leather.  I cleaned it all off thoroughly.

There are no hammer butts in a grand, so I'm assuming you mean the
knuckles.  If this white powder be baby powder, it would be
inappropriate, but if this white powder be pure teflon powder, then
that's okay.  What areas of the action were sluggish?

vince mrykalo  rpt
provo utah
Use your head.  It's the little things that count.