Piano loan program -Reply

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Thu, 04 Jan 1996 22:16:57 -0600

Here at Northern Illinois University we have been participating in a
Kawai loan program for two and a half years.  We pay a $100 per piano
moving fee plus 2-3% of total cost of the inventory for a year's use. Our
relationship with the dealer, which did not exist before the program
began, has been very positive.It undoubtably helps that the store is run
by an alumnus (business, not music of course).A side benefit has been
that I was able to horse-trade 4 S&S 1098s and a pair of elderly S&S
A's for new Kawai Anytime pianos with midi, which greatly improved
both my inventory and my standing with the Music Theory faculty at the
same time-the pianos hook directly into their computers, and they can
practice without disturbing the office next door.
     I also take care of the pianos for Lyric Opera of Chicago.  After
thirteen years of enduring a Baldwin loan program there, this is the first
season with Yamaha.  As I understand it, little or no money changes
hands, but they do get substantial priviledges regarding advertising the
connection.The conductors, vocal coaches and I have been very happy
with the pianos, and they too have been very accomodating of our
requests.  So far there has been much less shifting of inventory on their
part ( Baldwin used the Opera House like a sales floor at times-usually
right after the piano had been tuned)  Of course we'll have to see what
happens when Yamaha gets their brand new CF III back missing several
square inches of veneer on the bass corner.  In your situation, I'd
1)check the present contract to see if it is being violated and 2) start
sending out feelers to other dealers who might be willing to work with
the school.