"Sea Level Pianos" (long!)

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 05 Jan 1996 15:01:28 -0700

>>    Our weather conditions here in Vermont aren't all that different from
>>those which yhou are discribing (last night -10 degrees F and over a foot of
>>snow fell last night.  All day today the temperature stayed below 0 degrees F)
>
>Calgary can be -24 F one day and +10 the next. The have a name for this
called a Shunook.  The air flows are deflected by the mountain ranges.

You're mixing your scales there.  The temperature could go from around 30-40
below one day to 40 above the next if you're using the Farenheit scale
although those weren't the conditions I was describing.  The phenomenon is
called a "Chinook" and is the result of moist air dropping its moisture over
the mountains and by the time it gets here it's warm and dry. It plays havoc
with those who aren't used to it. Temperature shifts of 40 to 50 degrees F.
in an HOUR aren't unheard of.

As for "All day today the temperature stayed below 0 degrees F", all week it
will stay below -18 degrees F. here and those up and down shifts will
continue on and off until March or April with the last big snowfall the end
of May or early June. On the other hand, some years they've been out in the
fields in January and Roses have bloomed well into November. It's a funny
place for weather!

>>We don't seem to have as big a problem as you seem to have - when we have
>>control over the environment.  Give it a try, I think you will be a lot

>What is necessary is a very beefed up Dampp-Chaser System on each piano.
>And someone to fill them. And someone to change the wicks. And floor length
>covers.

Don's basically correct. In many situations those measures are absolutely
necessary here to preserve an instrument but the owners aren't always
prepared to take on the extra expense and responsibility.  Selling them a
Dampp-Chaser can be impossible despite all the business aids available when
they can barely afford to get the piano tuned at all!

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com