Estonia Pianos

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.demon.co.uk
Sat, 06 Jan 1996 12:37:13 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Ed,

the info you asked for is listed below:

Kind Regards
Barrie,

MIMIT =  Member of the The Institute of Musical
Instrument Technology.

MEMBERSHIP

STUDENT:        A Student has to be at least 16 years old and to be studying
for a career in musical instrument technology, manufacture or maintenance
either at an approved educational establishment or under the direction of
a Fellow or Member of the Institute.

ASSOCIATE (AIMIT): An Associate has to have been regularly educated
in musical instrument technology and to have been engaged for at least
two years in musical instrument manufacture or maintenance.
Candidates for the Associateship may be called upon to pass an examination
or to submit a thesis.

MEMBER (MIMIT): A Member has to possess recognised technical qualifications,
have been a practising musical instrument maker or repairer of at least seven
years' standing and to have either held a position of responsibility for at
feast five years or to have carried out research of acknowledged importance.

FELLOW (FIMIT): A Fellow has to have satisfied Council of his/her eminence in
the profession or of the importance and value of his/her services to musical
instrument technology.

The Institute also has distinguished Honorary Fellows elected by Council and
Companions who are interested in the work of the Institute but not themselves
professional musical instrument makers.  The full regulations governing
admission to each grade are laid down in the Articles of Association of the
Institute.  Candidates normally need to be proposed by a Fellow or a Member,
the higher grades requiring a seconded also.

OBJECTIVES
The advance of Musical Instrument Technology
through the exchange of information and ideas.
The promotion of the professional status of members engaged in musical
instrument design, manufacture, repair and marketing.

ACTIVITIES
Regular Lecture and Dinner Meetings Craft Examinations and the award of
Prizes and Certificates
The Institute Library
"Musical Instrument Technology" - the Journal of the
Institute which is free to members

The Institute was founded in 1938 from the ideas of Sydney Hurren.
Past Presidents have included piano-makers, organbuilders, a harpsichord maker
and a bell-founder among others.  Current membership also includes brass,
woodwind and bowed stringed instrument makers as well as electronic
instrument innovators and constructors.  Membership of the Institute is the
only professional qualification covering the whole field of musical
instruments.

The Association of Blind Piano Tuners exists to serve the professional and
particular needs of  it 's members and other  Blind and Partially Sighted
piano tuners throughout the world.  There are three categories of
membership: Member; Associate Member; Student Members.  Only full members
may add the letters ABPT to their name.

ABPT = Member of the Association of Blind Piano Tuners

Aims of the ABPT

Membership of the Association is at the discretion of the Council of ABPT,
and commensurate upon passing the Diploma in piano tuning and repair of the
Association for the Education and Welfare of the Visually Handicapped.
(AEWVH)

We seek to encourage all tuners to gain and maintain the highest
professional standards and to exhibit ethical and professional integrity at
all times.  We endeavor to offer ongoing training to those who wish to
gain these levels of ability, even though they are not members of
the Association, yet,

This we strive to do by running subsidised seminar's for fully sighted
and visually impaired tuners  and in close collaboration with the
Royal National College for the Blind, Piano Tuning
Department, at Hereford in England.
We maintain close links with all of the professional bodies of the music
industry, and in particular with piano tuning organisations worldwide.

HARRY LYDDALL
Chairman ABPT.