Refinishing sharps

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Sat, 06 Jan 1996 01:42:32 -0500

> I have been sanding the keys to restore the shape of the sharps, removing
the old finish in the process.

Rob,
I would guess that you are spending too much time getting the old finish off
and that is eating up your profits (especially if you are sanding it off).
 Since we redo the sharps for each set that we replace or restore keytops, I
made a tray out of wood to receive the upside down sharps. I put a piece of
plastic in the tray and then fill the tray carefully with a thin stripper to
the right level.  Let them stay in that tray for 20 minutes at least, taking
care not to let them tip and ruin your bushings.  Put the stripper into the
tray after the keys are in or else the stripper may rise up too far when you
add the keys.  That's how we do it.  It beats treating the keys individually,
that's for sure.  We then proceed as you indicated. Don't use sandpaper
unless you have too, it opens the grain too much. Stain & polish with a fine
steel wool.  We haven't clear coated them nor had any of the problems you
mentioned with the stain rubbing off on the naturals.
French polish sounds like beautiful option Horace, I'll have to try it.

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
PianoBiz@aol.com