Accu-Tuner/Tuning Manager files

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT 75601.2765@compuserve.com
Sun, 07 Jan 1996 15:28:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi all;
I have a problem with a little project of mine that may interest
Sanderson Accu-Tuner (SAT) users, and will certainly interest Tuning
Manager (TM) users.

(See end of message for background info on TM software)

I've had difficulty sending binary format SAT files via the Internet to
TM users.  Can someone help me with this problem?

TM for Macintosh and DOS use the same highly compressed binary format.
The files can be moved easily cross platform by saving the file to a DOS
floppy disk from either Mac or PC (Macs can write to DOS disks).

I have been successful in sending SAT files between Mac/Compuserve users
(not over the Internet), but that's the only success so far.  I've used
both MacCIM (Compuserve's program) and Claris Emailer to send over the
Internet, but the users on the Internet both DOS and Mac just get text
garbage.  I've sent it as an "attached file" using BinHex format and
several other formats to no avail.

If there are any TM/DOS users out there on Compuserve who are interested
in trying this let me know.

I'm considering creating a new feature so can Tuning Manager
export/import to/from a special ASCII text format.  This way even SAT
users without TM could use it, and there would be no compatibility
problems between DOS and Mac, Internet/CIS/AOL etc...  The down side is
that the same SAT file would probably be at least 2-3 times as big, and
of course, the programming.

One small problem AOL users may have is a 32k file size limit, at least
that's what I read.  Maybe someone on AOL can comment on this.  SAT
binary files can be up to 60k or so with 240 tunings.

I've been impressed with quantity, quality and the openness of the info
exchange here on pianotech.  It is my hope that this will lead to the
ability of SAT users to easily exchange, compare, discuss tunings for
certain models of pianos, and maybe even discuss tuning styles in a more
concrete maner.

I don't know if SAT/TM users would really use this capability.  I'm open
to feed back from anyone on this.

Dean

P.S. I still have free demo disks of Tuning Manager for DOS or Mac, but
please let me know your computer's religion so I don't offend it. :-)

Here's a little background for those who don't know what Tuning Manager
(TM) is all about. TM is a software program that runs on MS-DOS or
Macintosh which allows the transfer of tuning records between the
Sanderson Accu-Tuner (SAT) and a PC or Mac.  The SAT has to have MIDI
ports, and a MIDI interface is needed for the PC or Mac.  Once in the PC
or Mac, the tunings can be edited, graphed, printed, compared, converted
to historical temperaments, verified, averaged, archived to a file, run
the PTG tuning exam (on DOS) etc.  Tunings can be created for the SAT
using "Chameleon".  Chameleon 1 uses scale measurements (string
lengths/diameters) from 5 notes to calculate an aural quality tuning.
Chameleon 2 (Mac only) uses digital audio recording to "listen" to the
piano directly, the user takes no measurements, that is automated.  With
both versions of Chameleon, the user/tuner tells the program what "Tuning
Color" (style) they want (hence the name), and the tuning is calculated
and sent to the SAT.

* Dean L. Reyburn, RPT                                  *
* "Software Solutions for Piano Technicians"            *
* REYBURN PIANO SERVICE, INC.                           *
* Sanderson Accu-Tuner Authorized Distributor           *
* 2695 Indian Lakes Rd, NE  Cedar Springs, MI  49319    *
* 616-696-0500    Fax: 616-696-8121                     *
* INTERNET:75601.2765@compuserve.com                    *