Bell Pianos

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Mon, 08 Jan 1996 15:43:49 -0700 (MST)

John Musselwhite, RPT writes (about Bell Uprights)
>Back to the I. R.Action and the L.M.C...
>The Illimitable Repeating Action and the Lost Motion Compensator were
>_excellent_ innovations IMO.
>Did any other manufacturers use these inventions? Is anyone (other than
>Canadian techs) familiar with them?

I have seen the "Lost Motion Compensator " in several different high quality
verticals, built around the teens and twenties in the US.  I believe these
were all "Wessel, Nickels and Gross actions." They were a pain to work
on but it was a beautifully crafted action that seemed to work very well.
I also seem to remeber some unuasual jack spring designs simular
to John's description of the Bell upright in some 20's vintage Chickering
verticals. (Also a pain to work on).

Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu