RE Who This List is For

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 09:31:08 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  9:18 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE Who This List is For               Date:  1/9/96

----------------original post---------------

No, I am not a "University" technician. However, at the risk of sounding
thin skinned, it would appear that your attitude may be a bit arrogant.
Simply because an RPT does not actively work for (or with) such an
establishment does in no way suggest that he or she is not versed as well or
that such a person couldn't be very intrumental (excuse the pun).

--------------reply-------------------

You've missed the point altogether. Certainly if you knew Jack Reeves, the man
who started this list, you would be aware that an elitist attitude did not
foster the beginning and growth of this list. Just as a car mechanic who
services a fleet of commercial vehicles for industry would have different
problems and priorities than a mechanic who services vehicles for individuals,
so do we institutional  piano technicians have different priorities and
problems than the home piano technician. Just to mention a few: coping with
heavy use instruments, anal attention to voicing problems, dealing with
recalcitrant administrations, etc., etc. To be successful at either discipline
requires expertise, hard work,  and creativity; and neither is "simpler" than
the other.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory