Rep. Lever Springs

DBHersh@aol.com DBHersh@aol.com
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 03:43:30 -0500

>There is no way Steinway & Sons takes the position you put in quotes.
>Anyone can refer to Steinway & Sons Technical Reference Guide, pages 28-34
>and find in writing, their position on traveling, burning, and spacing
>hammers.
>
>Now an individual technician might deviate from that position, but Steinway
>& Sons does not.
>
>I would liken this preposterous suggestion unto this:
>The State of California puts up stop signs for the express purpose of motor
>vehicles coming to a complete stop, and then someone from the DMV
>suggesting that the State of California says forget all that, because it
>looks better rolling through a stop sign rather than stopping.

Hello all,
   Keith, thank you for the preposterous analogy but you missed my point. It
is my understanding that Steinway would advocate spacing the hammers so they
look even and then de-travel them so they hit the string correctly. I believe
it is minor and mostly limited to the tenor section. BTW, this technique is
not published in their manual. This was my initial question because I found
travel paper (alot of it) located on both sides of the flange. I don't want
to kick a dead horse but if this discussion continues I'm sure it would lead
to the old discussion of what is the best material if any to put on the
hammer rail such as cloth, sandpaper etc.

Doug Hershberger, RPT