Was Re: Rep. Lever Springs, now Guests

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 14:49:46 -0600

>/Allen, South Jordan, Utah posted:
>Jack has said several times recently that this list exists for
>university techs, implying that we who are not working for a college
>are here as guests.  We shouldn't be surprised that the guests don't
>say much.

>another lurker who still hopes for a new list that is open to all in
>which we newbies feel free to ask our "dumb" questions

I am having trouble with this word "guest", or maybe I am having trouble
with how I am perceiving it is being used in regards to Pianotech.  I
service a university, yet I feel like a guest at times.  I don't feel I
have a free license, but a priviledged license to be here.

And as mundane as this might sound, my idea of a guest is someone who
doesn't have to ask if they can use the bathroom in my home, I have already
indicated to them where it is.  That is what I perceive in Jack Reeves
invitation.

In much the same fashion, I would suspect that a "guest" would not have to
ask permission to ask a question that is pertinent to their piano
profession.  However, there is no guarantee that the responses received
will be to one's liking, if any are even received at all.  No one is
afforded that luxury in this medium.  Responses come as a result of honest,
courteous, sincere, and/or respectful posts.

Hoping for a new list may or may not be a constructive path.  However, I
have not seen the owner of this list say, "You are not invited."

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma