prepped piano

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:39:47 -0800 (PST)

>I am sure you know that acetone is the
>carrier for things like nail polish and Duco cement, etc., _none_ of which
>should be allowed to get anywhere near piano wire as it is immediately
>corrosive to the steel.

As far as I can see, the realy danger is the acetone will carry the nail
polish or whatever is on the surface of the string and fingers straight
through to the core on copper windings.  We all know from previous
postings what soda pop does when it is spilt on bass strings!  I would
definately avoid most cleaning solutions and keep them as far away from
strings as possible as they contain strong bases (ammonia, hydroxides etc.)

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC
Canada