Search Engine in Internet

David Parkhurst wind@crl.com
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 17:13:36 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 14 Jan 1996 Pianotoone@aol.com wrote:

> In discussions of who should be reading these missels and who should
> not--someone mentioned checking the WWW for previous writings about a
> subject.  They mentioned the address www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html.
>
> When I tried that address I got a message that I was not authorized at that
> web site (or something to that effect) and to contact the owner
> 1.  Who is the owner and how do you contact him?
> 2.  How do you get access to that engine?
> I learn much from this list and am grateful to be allowed to observe.  Hope
> us non PTG types are allowed to continue to participate.
>
> Thanks to all who take the time to reply
>
> Dick Day
> Michigan

I'm the "owner" of the Pianotech Searcher. The Searcher is open and free
to the public and requires no prior authorization or password. It is
however accessible only with web-browsing tools such as Netscape, Mosaic,
or the very fast, text-based Lynx. It is not accessible via email, ftp, or
gopher.  In other words, you must be set up to "surf the web" in order to
use it.  I have no first hand experience with AOL but it's my
understanding that it offers its customers full web-browsing capability,
so you should be able to reach the Searcher. It's full URL (or web
address) is:

   http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html

If you, or anyone, have any trouble using it please contact me and I'll do
my best to help out.

I've made a few changes to it recently that I hope will make it easier to
use. More improvements are in the works but they are of the difficult sort
so don't be holding your breath....

-David

David Parkhurst
assoc. -- PTG S.F., CA