Chickering damper reg.

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 07:42:41 -0500

>Your back action has fanned underlevers
>(spreading outwards to meet the fan of the keyboard and top action). The
>underlever flanges must be mounted horizontally. Let me know when you've
>accomplished this on the Rennner replacement back action.
>Bill Ballard RPT

I once replaced a Chickering Brown action with modern Herz-Erard type parts,
using the old stack rails and modifying the balance rail position.  The old
wips were "fanned" so I made vertical cuts on each flange where they meet
the rail to match the angle.  The hardest part was thinking of the idea.
Actually doing it was quite easy.

I suppose you could do the same to a back action but the original method can
be made to work quite well if the parts are restorable.  However if the mice
had chewed up the back action I might have contemplated replacing it.

I'm sure that museum conservators would have a strong opion on the side of
keeping things original.