Historical question

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:28:30 -0600

>>   Can anyone pinpoint when the overstrung bass was introduced and by whom?
>>
>>Avery Todd
>>atodd@uh.edu

Keith McGavern posted:
>Steinway & Sons, December 20, 1859
>
>Reference: "The Steinways and Their Pianos in the Nineteenth Century", page 8

Additional information: " ...what set the foundation for many of the
Steinways' contributions toward building a more powerful and stronger
piano--was granted to him <Henry> on December 20, 1859 (no. 26,532...) This
invention claimed a new arrangement of strings for grand pianos in which
the strings are in two tiers.  The bass notes are strung over the middle
and upper register strings." (same resource material)

Steve's info obviously pre-dates this info, so the difference I surmise is
vertical piano and grand piano.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University