Hamburg vs American S & S

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:31:38 -0500

To David Stanwood:
 you write:
>To guage dynamic touch the only way I've come up with is to compare strike
>weight to strike ratio....For those of you not familiar with the term strike
ratio, it is the >amount of weight needed to balance one gram of hammer
weight.

I have been re-reading what I could find of your posts of a while back, and I
would appreciate your clarifying one point. Does this mean adding a gram
weight to the hammer and seeing how much you have to add to the front of the
key? If so, it seems to me that measuring the strike ratio in this way would
include some friction, and that a more direct measurement would be to measure
the ratio between key movement and hammer movement. For instance, with the
letoff set at or above the string, if the blow distance were to be set at 45
mm and 9 mm of key movement would take it from rest to the string, such a
ratio would be 45/9=5.

Am I reading you wrong?
Thanks,
Bob Davis