Spring regulating tool -Reply

Brian DeTar bdetar@yamaha.com
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 08:20:06 -0800

Hello Keith

I have used an extra long repetition spring regulating tool
which I got from Yamaha (Schaff also sells this tool).

Might I suggest an alternative though.  Remove the action
and secure it in an action cradle.  By rotationg the action
until the weight of the butts are just supported by the
springs.  Any weak springs will show up by the fact that
those butts will not be at the same level as the others.  By
shifting (rotating) the action further, you can also check for
any that are too strong.

This procedure will eliminate the need for a special tool as
well as the inprecision of trying to adjust springs with no
reliable test as to the real strength of the spring.

Hope this helps!!

Brian De Tar   "NO OBSTACLES...ONLY OPPORTUNITIES"
BDeTar@yamaha.com

P.S.
Yes, this is a new address.  I am now an "official" employee
of Yamaha.