Spring regulating tool -Reply

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 20:17:27 -0600

>Hello Keith
>
>I have used an extra long repetition spring regulating tool
>which I got from Yamaha (Schaff also sells this tool).

Will you identity this tool for me by part # please?  I do have the Schaff
catalog.

>Might I suggest an alternative though.  Remove the action
>and secure it in an action cradle.  By rotationg the action
>until the weight of the butts are just supported by the
>springs.  Any weak springs will show up by the fact that
>those butts will not be at the same level as the others.  By
>shifting (rotating) the action further, you can also check for
>any that are too strong.
>
>This procedure will eliminate the need for a special tool as
>well as the inprecision of trying to adjust springs with no
>reliable test as to the real strength of the spring.

Brian, I appreciate your alternative method on checking for weak and strong
springs.  Excellent way of deciding how to even them out.  However, I want
more than that.  I do want to adjust them much in the same fashion as
repetition springs are adjusted on grand pianos.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma