keytops

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 22:16:05 -0800 (PST)

When I first read the post on alcohol and ivories, I realised that it
did make sense, and I stopped using alcohol (rubbing alcohol, or
isopropanol).  Ethanol may be better because it evaporates more
quickly, but it is hard to get (I certainly wouldn't recomend vodka
because there is too much water in it, and it would not evaporate
quickly).  Once the alcohol gets into the pores of the ivory, it won't
be able to evaporate, and it could possibly be drawn right down to the
wafer by cappiliary action.   I guess I will be switching the 'milk'
as well!

By the way, what about mineral spirits on the Yamaha Ivoryite?  Even
if used sparingly, does anyone think this may be drawn too deep into
the key and destroy the bond between the keytop and the key?  I don't
think I will experiment with this one.

Laurence Beach

Vancouver BC

Canada