hitchpins/iron

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 10:49:49 -0400 (EDT)

Les Smith wrote:
> It is not my intention to step on any toes or offend anyone,
> however in regards to hitch pins, cast iron has always been the
> material of choice by manufacturers, just as long as they've been
> using cast iron plates in pianos.

Just to complicate things here, don't neglect wrought iron which was
used for instance by Pleyel for partial plates. This material is
entirely different from cast iron or steel...unfortunately true
wrought iron is no longer manufactured, being substituted is mild
steel (`wrought iron garden furniture f.i. is *not* true wrought
iron). True wrought iron, made by the puddling process, is esp. noted
for its strength and corrosion resistance. All the old iron machinery,
locomotives etc. were wrought iron.

> ..... And the pins are not inserted vertically and then bent
> backwards, the holes into which they are fitted are angled
> backwards themselves. Although a cut-off nail might be a
> satisfactory replacement for a broken hitch pin in a piece of
> junk upright or spinet, IMHO it doesn't have any
> place in a fine quality instrument....

Just for interest (no comment intended on the modern piano)...early
piano makers used cut off wire for hitchpins, brass or soft iron
wire. Graf (total tension circa 6 tonnes) used soft iron hitchpins,
inserted into vertical holes, the heads then bent back.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686