scientific approach (was light ac.)

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 17:27:56 -0500

>Stephen Birkett posted:

>>...Pianists are notoriously unpredictable in their responses to an
>>action (personal experience as a pianist). Of course the bottom line
>>is customer satisfaction, a pianist trying a piano may feel
>>uncomfortable with if it is significantly different from previous
>>experiences, but, after some playing, may grow to love it. Acquired
>>taste can be unpredictable...

Keith responded:

>Excellent point, Stephen!

I agree as well, and I say considering the psychological aspects of the
situation is absolutely to be included in the scientific approach.

None of this discounts the importance of quantifying hammer weight and how
the action is configured to throw that weight. As a piano technician we are
incomplete without becoming familiar in these most basic aspects of action
configuration. We must learn to be able to have balanced judgement with
regards to how, when, and why to make changes in the action in order to
satisfy a clients needs.  Prudence is always a good word here.

It is an issue that we all face because there have been no standards in
regards to weight, leverage, and friction.  The result is a huge amount of
variation in the configuration of touchweight parameters in piano actions.
It is an issue that is central to the pianistc experience.

This is an area that has been neglected for too long.

Stanwood

            David C. Stanwood-Stanwood@tiac.net
            West Tisbury, Massachusetts     USA
            On the Island of  Martha's Vineyard
        http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood/st&co.htm

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
 firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
 the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
 order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
 with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow of
 fortissimo playing."                 - Alfred Dolge 1911