Why I Like Balance Weights (was:Ham vs Am S&S)

Steven J. Richardson sjr@merit.edu
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 20:40:04 -0500 (EST)

RE:  The issue of inertia and friction

There are also two different types of friction which act in the
system--the static friction before the key is set in motion
and the friction when the parts are moving.  (Static friction is
larger than rolling/slipping friction.)

It would seem that the Teflon-impregnated wool used in the NY
Steinways has interesting effects on the moving friction of the
action; I've heard that, after a lot of playing one day, the
next day you may find the action resistant at first, with a
noticeable decrease in the moving friction as you work the action
and the bushings.

Steve Richardson
soon-to-be Steinway owner
but a non-Teflon NY version!