Re Light Action (Help)

PSLOANE@alpha.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@alpha.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:10:53 -0400 (EDT)

----------------original posts-------------------

.......It is an issue that we all face because there have been no standards in
regards to weight, leverage, and friction.  The result is a huge amount of
variation in the configuration of touchweight parameters in piano actions.
It is an issue that is central to the pianistc experience.

This is an area that has been neglected for too long.........

......The value of this
scientific method should not be put down.  It sounds like you're saying,
greater understanding is NOT arrived at through more detailed quantification
of the action. .........

......Bob is setting a good example for us all by working to adopt methodology
that pays attention to weight, leverage, and friction.....

.....inertia can probably not be directly quantitated.....(the latter is my
recollection of one of David's posts).......

David C. Stanwood

----------------reply----------------

In my post that prompted the replies above, I said, "Here at Oberlin, we have
experimented with different up weight/down
weight/friction range/lead position (close to balance rail or close to front of
key)/etc. combinations", and (I may add) we are always using touch weights to
analyze mass and friction in the various actions here. And though I think there
is a range in touch and voicing where most pianists can be satisfied, it never
ceases to amaze me that two good pianists can respond to one piano in such
contradictory terms. Literally, what one will find so pleasant will be virtually
unplayable for the other.

Since there is this variable of the pianist in our work (how do you quantitate
that??) not to mention all the variables that make inertia so difficult to
quantitate, why not approach the analysis more simply. In addition to the use of
touch weights, look at the key travel the action needs in order to produce
enough aftertouch (not too much or too little) with a standard hammer blow. If
the key travel "mandated" by the action is less than 3/8", you have a low
leverage action that will be inertia laden (hard to accelerate). The farther
away from 3/8" (less than 3/8), the more the inertia. If you want to use a heavy
hammer in this action, you will have to change the leverage or possibly have a
piano that could be far too heavy to play.

Conversely, if the action "mandates" key travel greater than 3/8", you have a
high leverage action that will be less inertia laden (easy to accelerate). Use a
heavy hammer if you want.

This is an over-simplification, but it sure could help technicians get an idea
about what's going on in an action.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory