duplex scale

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet1.buffnet.net
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 01:53:56 -0500 (EST)

> FYI:  The Steinway duplex scale was developed by or in cooperation
> with the physicist Hermann von Helmholtz, so this, along with
> C.F.T. Steinway's engineering brilliance, is probably the reason
> for the success of this duplex scale.
>
> There are other duplex scales, of course, and the Bluethner piano
> has the interesting 4th string...
>

> Steve Richardson

Many high-quality pianos, old Webers, for example, adopted a tunable
duplex scale via individually movable aliquot wedges. I recently restrung
a 1908 Bluthner. Every string was individually tied to it's own hitch
pin, including all those extra strings in the treble. The dampers are
tricky because they have to seat on the three strings struck by the hammer
and at the same time the tiny damper felt on the side of the damper head
has to seat on the sympathetic 4th string. Alot of extra work, but certain-
ly a unique and interesting concept!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net