lead free actions

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 11:54:11 -0500

Dennis writes:

>My personal preferrence has come to a low leverage, low strike weight
>action with just enough lead positioned from the center to help break that
>first inertia and facilitate soft playing. This should easily require less
>than half of the original leads.

>Having said that, I have no argument with those who feel the lower Strike
>ratio, high strike weight actions are better suited for the stage, even
>though the current performance piano of choice here is of the opposite
>variety. What about the vast majority of your fine instruments which are
>sistuated in studios or homes and that are used for something other than
>grand piano concertos?

Medium StrikeWt/Medium StrikeRatio is a very popular design, and it can
serve in many concert situations and is great in the studio or home.

I just surveyed the late model Steinway D at Jordan Hall/New England
Conservatory.  It has an average ratio of 6.0 and strike wts all in the
medium zone.  Everyone has loved the action and the tone seems to be
substantial for most situations.

They also have a Hamburg D with an average ratio of 5.5 with strike weights
all in the high zone.  These are both new instruments to jhall and it's
early to tell a whole lot but I have heard that the Hamburg is recommended
for concerto work.  This could relate to the higher strike weights.

Stanwood