Hamburg vs American S & S

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 17:25:46 -0700

Hi Folks...

Last week, David Stanwood posted this question:

>Much of my work entails modifying new pianos.  I think the trick is to
>discuss this with the dealer "before".  If it means "sale" instead of "no
>sale" you'll find the dealer cooperative.
>
>Any company reps out there have the "official" word regarding this kind of
>scenario and their product warrenty?

I posed the question to a Steinway representative and received this response:
--------------

>Our official position is as follows - - and please understand that I say this
>without being familiar with Stanwood's deal.... but it's the sort of thing
that
>we've said (and written) with regard to several others out there who feel that
>they can improve the performance of a Steinway by making major modifications...
>
>So here goes...
>
>"Steinway and Sons cannot guarantee the performance of any aspect of a
Steinway
>piano that has been modified to a point where it no longer reflects Steinway's
>design or intent".  We can't be held responsible for the performance of an
>instrument that has been modified to an extent where it is no longer
>representative of our methods, procedures, or designs.

>John - an example would be a guy who takes out ALL the leads in the keys...
>takes off a major amount of felt, shortens the hammer tail, etc.  Well - this
>action no longer represents the geometry or design of the Steinway action.  By
>the way, such a guy does exist in Seattle... and we've had that discussion.
----------------

So, it would appear that if the modifications do not alter Steinway's
"design or intent" the guarantee would still be valid.  From what I
understand of the "Stanwood Touch Design", for the most part it consists of
calibration, which would not (IMO) be a problem and in fact, is something
the field technician will end being responsible for anyway. If more drastic
measures are needed, such as moving the capstans or adding helper springs
and the instrument is under warranty it is strongly suggested that the
factory be contacted to to clear it with them _before_ the work begins.

Perhaps David should  let this particular factory know what procedures are
involved so they can have an "official" response for their dealers and
customers.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada