lead free actions

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:46:50 -0600

At  9:22 AM 1/24/96 -0700, David Porritt wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Jan 1996, Dennis Johnson wrote:
>
>> My personal preferrence has come to a low leverage, low strike weight
>> action with just enough lead positioned from the center to help break that
>> first inertia and facilitate soft playing. This should easily require less
>> than half of the original leads.
>
>I didn't think I was confused, but I am!
>
>Whenever we ADD weight to anything we increase inertia (the tendancy of a
>body at rest to remain at rest).  Adding weight might help balance, but
>will _increase_ inertia.

___________

I did not say that inertia was decreased by adding some weight, but surely
we do agree that control of soft playing is more difficult in unleaded
actions, due to the extreme upweight (IMO). I referred to this "balance" as
helping to break inertia because the key does have less resistance. If
somehow that is technically incorrect, sorry, but I'm sure you get the
point.

It is my belief that inertia remains the most elusive obstical to our
through understanding of actions.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu