Apology!

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet5.buffnet.net
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 01:17:17 -0500 (EST)

An historian once said that Immanuel Kant was the most influential
philosopher of his tine not because of the correctness of his views,
but because he was so consistently wrong that his untenable positions
invited attacks and reactions from others for the next hundred years!
Obviously Kany and I have something in common. Pure and simple: I
blew it! My recent post on hitch pins was both misleading and incomplete.
Accordingly I apologize to the other member of Pianotech for the mis-
information and thank those members who responded both publicly and
privately to set the record straight.

I do alot of work on old pianos, late 19th and early 20th century stuff.
And I have replaced the occassional missing hitch pin in some of these
older instruments by the simple expediant of tapping a replacement pin
into the existing hole, which was angled towards the back, so that no
bending of the pin was required. Further, I suppose the idea of using
a rigid cast iron pin set into a hole angled towards the back of the
piano to complement the tuning pin at the other end of the string which
is slightly angled in the opposite direction appeals to my aesthetic
sense of balance. All of which is no excuse for ignoring the use of
a mild steel pin set vertically into the plate and then bent backwards.
Once again, I'm sorry for the misinformation. I'm never going to be able
to LOOK at a hitch pin again without thinking of you guys! :)

Peace.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net