Cleaning Ivories

GABRIEL ZWIERSKI 75120.1363@compuserve.com
Mon, 29 Jan 1996 21:04:43 -0500 (EST)

To Jim, Bill et al
      What the tech support at Sherwin-Williams said is true enough for the
product as it leaves the plant. What he didn't tell you was that denatured
alcohol is hygroscopic.  The minute you open that new can, the alcohol begins to
suck in the ambient moisture from the air.  I have tested "older" alcohol with a
proofing hydrometer (used for determining the alcoholic content of wines and
other potables (200 proof is 99 percent alcohol, same as what you get in the
Sherwin-Williams can, but more drinkable)), and have found cans where the water
content was well over 30 percent.  The rule of thumb I use is to look at the
interior of the can (if its metal).  If I notice black corrosion marks in the
can, its time for a new can (if its a plastic container, your outta luck.)
            In good spirit,
            Gabriel Zwierski