light action

rhohf@eagle.idcnet.com rhohf@eagle.idcnet.com
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 05:31:11 -0600

My original comment:
Here I am not referring to "snitch(ing) a taste of the piano's qualities" but
putting the piano through its paces; working the piano directly for the
purpose of discovering what it is and is not capable of.   This involves
mixing a certain amount of playing skill with technical understanding in order
to relate cause and effect to what you hear and feel from the instrument.

David, your system is very complex.  By the time you take your measurements,
plug them into your computer, and analyze the output, you have created a
>secondary< source on the instrument.  I can see the value of this if you must
analyze a piano to which you do not have personal access.  But why use a
secondary source if the primary source is right in front of you?

Dennis Johnson wrote:
I suggest that "complex" is loaded adjective, which can have unintended
implications. This *is* a complex problem, who would suggest a simple
diagnosis?

Bill Ballard wrote:
I don't doubt that you're mixing a certain amount of playing skill with
technical understanding. But most skilled pianists find these two hard to
combine in the same consciousness, if they even have the latter. Does this
technical understanding itself constitute a step away from the primary
source, ie. not the piano itself but your experience of it solely as a
pianist.
Sounds like you had piano lessons as a kid.

My comment:
Dennis, "simple" was your word, not mine.  Evaluating an action "hands-on" is
not simple.  I
contend that the piano action is >extremely< complex, far more complex than
can be accounted
for by the new metrology (at least as it has been presented here).

Bill, while I have been studying the piano for 42 years, I have no desire to
determine who plays
better than whom.  Most of my customers play better than I do, and I am sure
there are list
members who do also.  But just as exceptional hearing is not necessary in
order to do good
tuning, unusual playing ability is not necessary to evaluate a piano by touch.
  And, just as
special ear training is necessary for tuning, special training is necessary to
learn diagnosis by
touch.  If pianists have trouble combining playing skill with technical
knowledge "in the same
consciousness", it is because they have not learned how.  Consciousness helps.

For example:  take a question like, "How does weighting the fronts of keys
work?"  To  those who
are interested, let me suggest an exercise which will help unravel this
mystery.   Start with a fine
piano.  Play it.  Use a variety of dynamics and tempo.  Once you have a good
"fix" on the
instrument, remove a weight from every key.  Play it again.  Change the
weighting.  Play it again.
Change the weighting.  Play it again.  Again.  Again.  Change the hammer
weight.  Play it.
Change the key weights.  Play it.  Now do the same thing to another piano.
Another.   Another.
Pianists will recognize right away that this is not normal practicing, but
we're not investigating
Beethoven, we're investigating action mass.

This exercise will gradually give the pianist a sense of feeling action mass.
 It can also reveal
something about key weighting which is of critical importance in adjusting the
touch of a piano.
This "secret" is something which I have never seen documented in the writings
on actions nor
heard mentioned in class.  (Not to say that others don't know about it.) It is
also beyond the
compass of the "new metrology".

The exercise I am suggesting is a simple application of the scientific method:
 test a system, vary
one parameter, test again.  There are undoubtably those who will criticize the
"subjective" nature
of the testing.  To this I reply that there is no equipment less sophisticated
than a hand
connected to a brain which is capable of doing the testing.  There is nothing
wrong with taking
your favorite measurements during the exercise, I do.  But the measurements
will not reveal what
is happening.

Bob Hohf

"This is a test.  This is only a test." - Jim Fleming, Wis. Public Radio,
10am Tuesdays