Milky Satin Finish

Matthew Doudt mjdoudt@iquest.net
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 22:24 -0500 (EST)

At 07:06 PM 2/28/96 -0700, you wrote:
>About 7 or 8 years ago, we at Samick Canada (R.R. Loewen Distributors)
>experienced a similar problem with milky haze only on the satin finishes.
>>From that time until the present, Samick used polyurethane, not polyester,
>for its satin finishes and I sympathize with anyone who has had to
>undertake any manner of touch-up on these 'plastic' finishes.  As they
>resist both traditional lacquer and modern polyester techniques, a hybrid
>approach is usually necessary.
>
>Our experience with this peculiar haze was that it appeared only where foam
>(polystyrene?) packing touched the cabinet parts.  Perhaps the finish
>hadn't cured sufficiently and reacted with the residue on the foam packing.
>Fortunately, almost all of the affected cabinets were restored by thorough
>rubbing with an automotive compound called Car Groom Final Finish.  Other
>petroleum based automotive compounds worked effectively as well.
>
>Subsequently, Samick began applying a plastic film 'cling' wrapping on all
>pianos prior to packing and the problem hasn't resurfaced (no pun intended)
>since.  Trouble is, we purchased many cases of Car Groom which we no longer
>required.  My car has never looked so shiny!
>
>Best regards to all,
>
>Stan M. Kroeker, RPT
>On the frozen Canadian prairie

Stan:

Just wanted to say thanks for your response.  I'm actually the service
manager for a dealership and also a technician.  Someone else responded
saying just call Young Chang and complain---its not your problem.  Well,
they are right, but I was looking for some ammo before I called.  I also
like telling them I know how to fix the problem if they will pay me to do
it.  Besides, my customer doesn't want to wait six months for another piano
to come on a boat.  I'd rather fix it this week if I could.

Thanks for the ideas.  I printed out your letter and I'll give it to my
finish guy.  I appreciate you answering my question and not telling me I asked
a stupid one!

Peace, Matthew Doudt