Newbie

Sheppard,Matthew J SHEPPARD@bos.msmail.idx.com
Tue, 05 Mar 1996 10:21:00 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the response, how (short of asking the tuner) do i find out if
someone is registered?
M@

 ----------
From:  pianotech[SMTP:pianotech@byu.edu]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 05, 1996 7:58 AM
To:  Multiple recipients of list
Subject:  Re: Newbie

I would respond to the Kranich & Bach question, but I'll let Newton tell
us
what HE really thinks!

Regarding fixing up your piano yourself, my first response would have
been,
"Oh, no.  Not another one of THOSE guys."  I have seen pianos ruined by
well-intentioned, untrained people.  HOWEVER, I also recently tuned a
player
piano on which a lot of the refurbishing of action parts and regulating
were
done by its doctor/owner, and it was really well done.  Obviously, the
guy
has good small motor skills and eye-hand coordination!

If you are PATIENT, have some good reference material, and have someone
knowledgeable to ask questions of, it is possible that you could do the
work
without doing permanent damage.  Just don't do ANYTHING until you have
all
your ducks in a row!

Regarding screening procedures for tuners, even tho I am not a member of
the
PTG, if I could not tune and were in a new town looking for a tuner, I
would
seek an RPT (registered piano technician), and this is what I tell people
if
they ask me.  It's the only screening procedure that exists.

Barb Barasa
Sycamore IL