Drifting Jacks

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 05 Mar 1996 17:08:04 -0500

Matt writes;

the jacks on my 1926 Kranich&Bach have drifted on 8-10 actions.
My tuner/tech suggests filing the sides down so they don't rub on the rep
  lever.

   One proper thing to do is to repin the jack, and leaving the pin long,
center the jack with a considered blow to the top with a smooth, small
hammer. The pin can be pushed a small amount in or out to take differing
advantages of the bend.

   The above procedure assumes that the wood of the jack and support is not
 brittle; some older pieces will simply shatter, if so, carefully bend a pin,
and then install with the bend away from the top of the jack, and adjust the
lateral jack position with how much bend you push.

  Filing down the sides of the jacks will reduce the surface bearing on the
knuckle,  destroying function.  I think that is butcher work.

Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville