Richmond Grand mystery

EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu EHILBERT@midd.middlebury.edu
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:43:50 -0500 (EST)

>Part of Ed Hilbert's post:
>        Sounds to me like the piano at one time had a player mechanism.  If
>there are no other indications undr the piano for a playee had a push-up player,made by
Hupfeld, Apollo, Angelus,
>Aeolian, etc...

Question by Keith McGavern:
>Does this mean the player mechanism was held in place with the mounting
plates and played the piano from the top of the keys?

Yes, Keith, that's what it means.  There were actually quite a few of these
push-up players made.  They were also called forsetzers (sp?) for "sits inf
ront" of the piano.  There were both 65 note players and 88 note players.
The 88 note players were generally considered to be more valuable.  In
essence they allowed any piano to become a player piano just by pushing
the player up to the piano and letting the "fingers" do the playing.
Ed Hilbert