Richmond Grand mystery

Bbarasa@aol.com Bbarasa@aol.com
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 23:03:17 -0500

>Yes, Keith, that's what it means.  There were actually quite a few of these
>push-up players made.  They were also called forsetzers (sp?) for "sits inf
>ront" of the piano.  There were both 65 note players and 88 note players.
>The 88 note players were generally considered to be more valuable.  In
>essence they allowed any piano to become a player piano just by pushing
>the player up to the piano and letting the "fingers" do the playing.
>Ed Hilbert

Around these parts (Chicago) there have been symphony concerts where these
push-ups were used for the solo ... for example, the Grieg Piano Concerto
roll cut by Rudolph Ganz, if I'm not mistaken.  The conductor has a little
electric push button thingie which is attached to the push-up and allows
him/her to stop the roll during orchestral segments and then have the piano
make its entrance again.  I am not making this up!  I've never been to one of
these concerts, but it sounds kind of creepy!

Why do I think of padded bras when I use the term "push-up"?

Barb Barasa
Sycamore IL