Otto Higel Co

Ty Fairchild twfic@netcom.netcom.com
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:08:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996 19:57:08 -0700 (MST), you wrote and I quote:

:
:> This technique [tuning just the center string, then one edge, then
:the other edge]  results in less strain on the plate as the tension is
:> distributed more evenly and gradually, which is surely a comfort when
:> pulling up old pianos. It also results in far fewer strings breaking,
:> and perhaps more importantly, ends up with a vastly more stable
:> instrument.
:
:Ty, I can understand why that technique reduces the strain on the
:plate because, as you said, the stress is distributed more evenly,
:and I can understand that this would give a more stable tuning.  I
:don't understand why this would result in less string breakage.  If
:you could elaborate on this, I would be grateful.

Allen,

Ummm.  I was hoping no one would ask. ;-) It is a cold stone fact that
using this method results in less string breakage, but I have no clue
as to why. Sorry. But if any one else knows, I, too, am all ears.  :-)

Ty Fairchild