Pitch Raise, Above the break-

MR STEPHEN R HAASCH WLLJ40A@prodigy.com
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 01:05:24 -0500 (EST)

When I do pitch raises on an upright above the break, I find that I have to
make extra passes above the upper break for 12 - 15 semi tones.
1. I normally strip mute.  I usually go all the way up before I go down.
2. With the accu-tuner (my new found tool), I have been remeasuring the
pitch raise every couple of octaves esp. at the breaks and string change
confugurations.   It seems to work a little better.
3. In aural tuning, this section gives me fits.

A.  It has been mentioned that the tuning should go up to the break and
then down to a-0, then on up to c-88.

I do not recall that this helped the problem area when I did it this way.
This area seems to resist holding pitch but go extra flat as the pitch is raised.

I do recall someone saying that when you set the middle string that the two
outside strings, when they are pulled up to pitch will cause the middle one
to go flat.

I would assume that the warp of the plate in the pitch raise is extra
active in this area.  ARE THERE any hints which would save extra passes
through this portion of the piano and save effort and time?

For those of you who just make two passes or tunings and go home, is that
section holding true in pitch for you?  Or are you calling it relatively
good and coming back in 6 months and saying that the upper middle section
bellying in pitch is part of the suffering of a pitch raise.