Did you?

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 23:57:44 -0600

At 07:01 PM 3/13/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>>I checked with the local newsroom to get info about relative humidity
>>readings here in Dallas.  I was informed that the average in Feb. was about
>>72% at midnight and 54% at 6:00 A.M.  According to the newspaper the rel
>>hum. readings on Tuesday,  March 12 were 41% at midnight, 60% at 6 A.M.,
>>33% at 11 A.M., 27% at 1 P.M. 25% at 3 P.M. and 44% at 6 P.M.
>>
>>F. Yonley
>>
>Did you use a compensation formula--i.e. the numbers above are for outside
not inside. You must take these figures and adjust them for the temperature
inside the building. I have the formula hiding in a filing cabinet somewhere
but you probably could get

>it from the local weather office (try the airport).
>
>Even without adjustment your readings of 27% and 33% are below what
Steinway would recommend.

>Regards, Don Rose drose@saskmaple.net

Dear Don,

What is the compensation formula?

I use a digital hygrometer/thermometer that I got from Radio Shack to
measure indoor temperature and relative humidity.  It works well for me.

Also, what would Steinway recommend as to the low and high humidity levels
that a piano should be subjected to?

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/