Foredom hammer beltsander

horace horace@compadept.com
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 10:07:14 -0800 (PST)

At 07:45 AM 3/14/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Having started to develop a nasty case of tendonitis, I'm teaching myself
>how to use this Foredom hammer beltsander.  The only real problem I've
>encountered is adjusting it so that the belt doesn't travel out- or
>inward, thereby fraying either or both edges and shortening the life of
>the little bugger.  I've been very careful to not bend the arbor (?) and
>have tried adjusting the tension in the belt -- to no avail.
>
>Any hints toward solving this problem?
>
>Thanks a million!
>
>Ron Torrella
>Assistant Piano Technician
>University of Michigan
>Ann Arbor, Michigan

Ron,

I've used the Foredom for a long time and can't imagine how I shaped hammers
for 25 years without it.  My use of it is for rough shaping, followed by
hand work.

The only real hint I can offer is to have lotsa belts.  The inherent
instability of the belt (each seems to be custom made), and the use to which
we put them, seems to mean unevent stretching and wear.

I find the problems to be miniscule, especially when one needs to remove 3
sheep from a set of ill-formed hammers.

Other comments?

Best,

Horace