A common listserv mistake-from Jack Reeves

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:27:23 -0700

>>> <pianotech@byu.edu> 03/15/96 10:16am >>>

Hi pianotech people,

I'm forwarding one of the error messages I get the most
frequently with a little explanation that might help.  (If this is your
message, please don't feel picked on-it is a very common error.)

The most common use of the set command is to change your
mail mode.  There are 4.  Ack means that listserv will send you a
copy of everything you send to pianotech.  Noack means it won't.
Postpone means that your subscription stays current, but no
messages will be sent to you (use this when you go on vacation,
etc.)  Digest means that you only get messages sent in a group,
instead of one at a time.

The default setting is noack, but lots of people have changed to
digest.  Most don't send the command right the first time.  It
takes 4 words, not three.  The command is <set pianotech mail
digest>.  Almost everyone leaves out the word <mail>, and
listserv sends back an error message, and sends me a copy.

The other options for the set command, password, address, and
conceal aren't used very often and you probably won't have to
know them, but the mail option is one that most of us might use
from time to time, so it would be good to have a copy of the
instructions.

One more thing to mention.  The option <conceal> means that
your name does or does not show on the list of subscribers.
The default is set  so that all names show on the list of
subscribers, and I require it to be left that way.  I think every
subscriber has a right to know who else is subscribed.  On the
rare occasion when someone has changed this, I write and ask
them to reset.

Have a great weekend.

Jack                         jack_reeves@byu.edu

>SET PIANOTECH DIGEST

Invalid SET option DIGEST

Syntax: set <list> [<option> <arg[s]>]
      option: mail, password, address, conceal
      arg for 'mail': ack/noack/postpone/digest
      args for 'password': <current-password> <new-password>
      args for 'address': <current-password> <new-address>
      arg for 'conceal': yes/no

Report any problems to 'reevesj@byugate.byu.edu'.
For a list of the available requests send a message to
listserv@byu.edu with a body consisting of nothing but the word
HELP