tune now pay later (used to be:Tuning Test Intervals -Reply -Reply)

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 20:01:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 17 Mar 1996 Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> This isn't about tuning now and paying later, it is about a guy who wanted to
> pay me later for a rebuilding job.
>
> After I finished rebuilding this guy's Steinway, I asked him to come to my
> shop, inspect it, pay the balance, (about $3500), and make arrangments to
> have the piano moved. He told. "Move it to my house, and after I play it for
> 3 months, I will decide whether to pay you or not". Obviously I didn't agree
> with that. After 2 months, and several calls between our lawyers, I finally
> got a check by special delevery. I haven't seen, or heard from the  guy
> since. He didn't even ask me to give him his 4 free tunings I promised.
>
> Wim Blees
> St. Louis

Which is why it's a good idea to always have a written contract, signed by
both parties, that spells out not only the work to be done, but the financial
arrangements as well. Further, don't be bashful about asking for a substan-
tial deposit up front, say a third or so. Asking for a written contract and
a deposit isn't saying that you don't trust the guy, it saying that YOU are
a professional. IMHO, not only should you have been paid the $3500, but you
should have gotten 2 months storage as well!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net