Sidewinder

jkinnear@georgian.net jkinnear@georgian.net
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 17:28:18 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, kam544@ionet.net (Keith McGavern) wrote:
>>I recently changed casters on a 20yearold Yam P202 at a high school, and had
>>to check out the complaints of people who push it around. What I found was
>>solid sockets and stems, and properly swiveling casters. If however, you
>>pushed from one end, the piano wanted to move off at a 5degree angle, while
>>keeping its back parallel to its original orientation...
>>
>>Bill Ballard PRT
>
>I  moved  today a 48" vertical less than 5 years old and experienced
>approximately the same phenomina.  The end being pushed kept refusing to
>follow a straight line.  Jim Bryant suggested replacing casters to resolve
>this.
>
>I guess this particular piano could have been dropped in its short life and
>damaged one of the caster sockets and/or stems.  Or the existing caster
>system could have had a defective part from the get go.  Other than not
>tracking straight, it rolled quite nicely.
>
>Keith McGavern, RPT
>kam544@ionet.net
>Oklahoma Baptist University
>Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
>

>I had the same problem with a church piano. I seems that even though the
castors were working alright, one of the assemblies always veered as you
described. I decided that the castor was not installed with the socket EXACTLY
perpendicular to the floor, removed it and shimmed itwith thin washers on the
side to which it wandered, reinstalled it and the problem was solved.
As well, pianos moved on carpet seem to veer to one side, generally the side
most suceptable to damage..... probably due to the rotation of the earth??

Good luck

Jim Kinnear,
KPS
Collingwood, Ont, Can