Holiday in Havana?

Benjamin Treuhaft blt@igc.apc.org
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 06:08:37 -0800 (PST)

The Send a Piana to Havana project is  happy to report that two PTG
members risked Helms' wrath to visit Cuba and participate in preparing
22 pianos (and an antique pump organ) for distribution to kids and
teachers there.  The Cubans were ecstatic to unpack the container of
cheap old U.S. uprights and grands we sent down last December and
thrilled with the half-ton of parts and tools stuffed in amongst the
pianos, but the best part was the interchange with PTG members like
Frank French of the Boulder chapter.

Only half the pianos are ready to give away, and I am convinced that
the project should continue with PTG help.  Your organization is
committed to teaching piano technology and the Cubans are starved for
information, and very quick to learn.  An example: a music student
stopped by to help an hour or so each day and while he was standing
around I showed him how to bend upright damper wires and set the spoon
- my least favorite.  By the next day he had regulated the dampers of a
Steinway K and two other uprights with even lifting and excellent
damping, something I have rarely accomplished myself.

Anyone interested in traveling to mysterious hot Cuba and helping out?

Benjamin  Treuhaft
Send a Piana to Havana
blt@igc.apc.org  (5l0) 843-3823