#pianotech IRC

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:07:48 -0700

At 01:02 PM 25/03/96 -0700, you wrote:
>John,
>     I'm interested but don't know what the undernet is. Please send more
information and explanation.  Thanks Ed Hilbert

The "Undernet" is one of several IRC "servers" which can be reached through
the Internet. Many of them include "undernet" in their addresses.

To access IRC you generally need a ppp internet connection and a windows
program called "mIRC" which can be found on the net. The program has the
names of some servers already built in.  There are other programs (including
Netscape Chat) which do the same things, but not really as well from what
I've seen.

Once you load and run it and have answered a couple of configuration
questions, you connect with one of the undernet servers by just clicking on
a button. If you have trouble connecting because they're busy, change the
"port" number for the server by clicking on "edit". Port number 6668 seems
to be a good one.

If I still wasn't very clear, write me and I'll try again... and I hope to
see you on IRC soon. It's LOTS of fun!   <g>

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com