Bushmaster question

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 01:33:26 -0500 (EST)

At 07:01 AM 3/27/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a question regarding the use of the Bushmaster tool.  I bought one
>about a year or two ago, but haven't used it.  It is a well made tool, and I
>like the idea behind it, but it seems to me that it puts too much cloth into
>the mortise.  I've always butted the ends of the bushing cloth over the hole
>in the key, then used the cauls to push the cloth down the sides of the
>mortise.  So the amount of cloth I insert is equal to 1/2 the width of the
>hole in the key.  Too little would be better then too much
>
>The bushmaster puts a piece of cloth closer to 3/4 the width of the hole.
> (I'm talking about a hole for a .146" key pin)  Since I bought it, I want to
>use it!  (<---My Scottish blood talking there), but not if it's not going to
>allow me to do the job correctly.  I'm just curious if anyone else feels this
>is too much, (or have I been using too little?)
>
>Gordon Large
>Maine

Gordon,

        The bushmaster inserts the correct amount, consistently.  It is
possible to drive a little more cloth into the mortise by wiggling the
bushmaster (front to back). Here is an excerpt from my keybushing class:

Put glue (hot hide glue is best) in several mortises, lay strip of cloth
down the line of keys.  One may glue as many as 20 keys at a time (depends
on freshness and consistency of glue).  When bushing the first key, press
cloth in to mortise w/Bushmaster, cut the cloth and insert the chosen caul.
When cutting the cloth with the bushmaster, push the blade down twice
(front, then back), making certain that the cloth is completely cut within
the mortise.  Hold the first cut cloth with both fingers when inserting the
caul as not to allow excessive cloth to go down into the mortise.  Work your
way down the line by inserting, cutting cloth and then pushing in a caul.
Use your handy hammer and tap each caul down on the shoulders.  Go back to
the first caul you inserted and use an exacto knife to cut and remove excess
cloth. Lightly hammer the cauls again.  I usually will bush the upper row
first then do the bottom row.  This way the cauls don't get in the way of
cutting excess cloth.

Don't worry about the amount of cloth wasted.  The time saving factors far
outweigh the pennies saved on loose pieces of cloth.  I would suggest using
your bushmaster as soon as possible.  Your end result will continue to
improve as you gain confidence in this system.

Good luck

Dave Swartz, RPT
dms2000@pioneerplanet.infi.net
Read the article! It's hot! (smoldering?) "Smoke Damage Restoration for
Pianos" on the PianoPage