Re Damper Harmonics

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 18:01:41 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  5:56 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re Damper Harmonics                   Date:  3/28/96

------------------ORIGINAL POST-----------------
I've got a frustrating harmonic that won't go away. On one of the
performance S&S D's the 8th partial of F2 (right above the break) continues
to sing whenever you play F5. However, that damper could not be doing its
job of muting F2 any better. The felt is seated perfectly and is not too
long or too short, IMO.  Clearly, it is sitting on that particular node and
is quite audible once you start listening for it. I have seen this sort of
problem before, but it was always so subtle that no one ever complained. In
this case, even a few students have noticed it.  I suppose I could voice
down the treble some around the 5th octave, but they kind of like it as it
is, and it is not excessively bright. Anyone have a suggestion?

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu
djohn@skypoint.com
Dennis-  The harmonic is very likely emanating from the part of the speaking
length between the agraffe and the first felt on the damper (a wedge,
probably). I have not found this to be a common problem, but it has occurred
with me. Tilting the damper at the head one way or the other with your fingers
will frequently solve the problem. I assume  this moves the damper felt away
from the node that defines one end of the harmonic.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory