M&H model 'A' ??

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 23:05:37 -0500

Hi, Jim -

There were some European pianos of the late 19th c that ran the grain
parallel to the belly rail, with ribs 45 degrees to that.  I rebuilt one many
years ago, a Pleyel c 1870, I think, and decided to put the grain parallel to
the bridge, the modern conventional way.  In other words, I made a change
that was exactly opposite to the one you describe.

The original board was VERY badly disintegating, which I took to be
attributable to the 45 degree crossing angle.  I believe that the closer the
ribs are to the grain of the board, the weaker the whole thing will be.
 However, Pleyel had built a pretty nice piano to begin with, and they were
not entirely stupid.  It sounds like your M&H worked out pretty well (good
luck or genius on the part of the rebuilder?).  I would advocate very close
climate control; a short prayer every Sunday might help, too!

I wouldn't anticipate tuning stability problems from the pinblock
arrangement, especially with a M&H.  Those plates were tremendously stiff; if
the block is nicely fit to the plate, it will be OK.  The board may well be
more sensitive to changes of humidity than the original was.  But as I said
above, I think you'd be well advised to provide excellent climate control
..
- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations