Conservative Octaves & tune-off

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:04:08 -0700 (mst)

Dear Robert:

Thank you for your unbiased comments about the TuneOff.  I agree with
you that in certain selections I liked Virgils tuning better than mine.
His tuning in the morning seemed to have a more round sound if that term
is a good one.  Whenever the selections were more in the middle or Bass
part of the piano, I usually voted for his piano.  However, in the evening
where he had tuned the piano which I had previously tuned, his tuning did
not seem to have that advantage.  It perhaps sounded better in some areas
than mine did in the morning on the same piano, but I didn't think in
general that it sounded better than my PM tuning of the other piano.
I was surprised in the evening that his tuning on my morning piano sounded
better to me than my tuning on that same piano, so I asked him if he had
done any voicing on that piano when he came back early.  He said "no." I
guess the better voicing he had done on his first piano was to my advantage
when I tuned it in the second round.  If I remember correctly, there was
more difference in the voting during the second round of playing.  I
would credit that to his excellent voicing on that piano.

It just occurred to me that in the future, we could have other competitions
in complete concert preparation, which would include tuning, voicing, and
other prep.  I'm sure there are others who could take up the challenge.  I
would like to see something like this take place each year at our annual
conventions.

Jim Coleman, Sr.