Tuning exam unisons, was: Odd partial

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Sun, 03 Nov 1996 22:12:46 -0400

Gina Carter writes;
>On the unisions part of the exam, we examiners first listen. If each and
>every note sounds clean and clear why is it necessary to go back and double
>check at least 3 of them with the Accutuner? The last time this happened I
>asked the CTE why and he said it was a requirement of the exam.

Hi Gina;
I was surprised to hear you say that so I checked the CTE manual.  The
section on the Unison Test does *not* specify measuring 3 notes, nor does
it
say that any  minimum number of notes must be checked with a tuning
device,
(at least in my copy.)

It does specify, and it is my practice in giving the test to first check
all
the unisons aurally.  If any one of the three examiners questions any
unison
_then_ we check it with the SAT.  I will normally like to measure at least
one unison just for the benefit of a CTE in training or an RPT not
familiar with the test, but I don't believe its required.

As to the what partial the  examinee should tune too, I agree with Jim
Bryant, just tune the unison clean sounding and you will earn a high
score.
If the unison sounds real clean the examiner would probably not even need
to check with the machine.  I've never seen a case where the unison
sounded
clean but the machine said it was more than 0.9 cents off (1.0 cents is
one
point off your score).

Technically we do measure the 4th partial in the 3rd octave, and the 2nd
partial in the 4th octave though, but clean sounding unisons are far more
important than partials matching! (Uh-oh I think I'm starting to sound
like
Virgil Smith! <G>)

-Dean Reyburn