Historical Tuning

Dennis H. Johnson djohn@skypoint.com
Sun, 03 Nov 1996 23:17:05 -0600

>Greetings,
>
>    Does the scaling indicate that these pianos would favor non-equal tuning?
__________________

Yes.  Inharmonicity has the effect of reducing the size of both the
pythagorean and syntonic commas. This observation seems a little confusing
at first because these commas appear to work in opposite directions.  As
you know, the greater the inharmonicity of an instrument the wider you must
cut the fifths in order to keep them all of exactly the same size. We can
say that a highly inharmonic instrument favors unequal (tonal) tuning
because we are able to enjoy the benefits of several pure intervals, and
the proportional beating triads that pure intervals imply, without
increasing beat speeds of the diminished fourths and tempered fifths as
much as the same temperament require on an instrument with lower
inharmonicity. In some cases, a Victorian temperament on a more inharmonic
piano for example, the tempered fifths and larger thirds may beat no faster
than what we would have expected from ET on a less inharmonic instrument.
______________________
>    Does the inharmonicity pose a problem to achieving what we accept as ET
>today?

_______________________

I have said before tuners who think that they can do an accurate equal on a
cheap spinet should try and measure the fifths. I will bet that even though
the thirds may progress evenly, some of those fifths are pure. With beat
speeds that slow it is too difficult to cut the fifths equal, -and who
would care anyway?
If you want equal on a cheap piano, try Marpurg I, one of the "rival"
temperaments. The thirds are all equal, but half of the fifths are pure.

Obviously, this is only a small part of the picture or we would prefer more
inharmonic instruments. The message is that inharmonicity is not all bad,
and that message is not new.

______________

To Ed, Stehpen, and the other tonal tuners out there:

Unfortunately since we are just beginning to ask some of these interesting
questions concerning the relationship between inharmonicity and unequal
temperament as realized on both period and modern instruments, and what all
this means to the music, it may be some time before we have meaningful
answers.

I would like to continue the discussion with a question of my own. Most of
the time we are not tuning for one particular evening or performance,
therefore when selecting an appropriate temperament we can take into
account that player (or owners) musical taste as well as our own, but
generally we are, or should be, tailoring the temperament to best
compliment that particular instruments scale. I do not even know exactly
what kind of temperament or direction I will take until I have tuned at
least 3-4 notes (on a first-time tuning). My question is this:  I have
noticed that on Borsendorfer pianos I consistantly end up tuning ET. Why?
Have others of you done the same thing? For some reason I do not get the
same sense of aesthetic disinterest I normally associate with ET when
tuning a modern Bosendorfer piano.

Thanks Ed for keeping this thread going,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College